“If safety is a joke, then death is the punchline”- Paul Laforest
It is never a good idea to learn safety tips by accident. Mishaps do not inform before occurring. Being aware and mentally equipped with information that can save a life is extremely crucial.
One needs to be prepared beforehand for facing any sort of calamity with smartness. A single act of intelligence can save human life. Hence, learning safety tips is an essential life skill. Then you don’t need to blame luck or destiny!
Swimming is an art as well as a basic life ability. It is a recreational activity and a self-security talent. However, more than half of the population does not know how to swim. Due to lack of interest or time, many people stay devoid of these techniques. Unfortunately, this inability takes away many lives each year.
We hear so many cases of people getting swayed away with the mighty waves. If only they knew how to make their bodies float over water, their lives could have been saved.
However, nobody can force people to devote their time and energy to learn swimming. The only solution to prevent drowning is to equip ourselves with life-saving hacks. If you witness a person drowning, these techniques will help you to save him or her.
The worst thing to do in such scenarios is panic. Panicking has ruined a large number of lives in the history of mankind. So, gear yourselves up and learn some useful tips for rescuing a drowning individual.
Once you ascertain someone is drowning
- According to doctors, drowning patients are the toughest to rescue and revive. Without proper training, rescuing a conscious drowning person directly is very risky. Think and act with care!
- Do not waste time being terrified. If possible, seek the help of a lifeguard. Wasting even a millisecond can destroy a precious soul.
- Teamwork would simplify the scene better. Direct someone to contact the police. Inform them properly about the situation and location precisely. They get in touch with experts immediately.
- It is important to keep yourself secure. Wear floatation equipment to make sure you don’t end up being a patient yourself.
1. Try to reach out to the drowning person with a rigid material. It can be a rope, a wooden log, or anything long and sturdy.
2. Motivate the person to try harder. Stay positive and encourage the drowning person to reach out to the help provided.
3. If the individual is far away, try forming a human chain. For this, make sure the people forming the chain either know how to swim or have floatation devices with them.
4. If it is a sea, take the help of a raft or boat. Tie a thick and strong rope around the waist of the rescuer. This way, the rescuer can grab on the patient’s body. The people on board can pull both of them on.
5. It is easier to save a conscious drowning person that a patient who has become unconscious. But don’t worry, you can manage to save their lives also.
6. The rescuer must be a proficient swimmer. An attached floating tube would add more protection. A boat can be used to reach the patient. Tie a rope to their waist and pull the body towards the boat.
After the patient is rescued
Once you have rescued a drowning body, it is time to provide first aid immediately. If the weather is cold, remove the wet clothing and provide warm covering. If possible, get arrangements of heat.
If you have an airway bag in the first aid kit available, it would be of great use. It provides protection during the process of mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
An airbag would prevent infection like HIV during mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
How to conduct mouth-to-mouth resuscitation?
1. In order to drain out any water from the patient’s mouth or nose, turn his or her head to aside. Make sure they are lying on their back with their head in sideways position. This way the water will exit from the airway.
2. If the patient does not show signs of breathing, you can shake their body or even pinch their earlobes. It can make him or her begin respiration.
3. But how to check if they’re breathing or not? Just lean over the patient and place your cheek on their mouth. Notice the chest if it is rising and falling. You can feel their breaths through sounds and sensing the air pass.
4. If the person is breathing fine, then contact a doctor to take care of the rest.
5. However, if the person has not restored breathing, it is time to deliver rescue breaths or mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. For that, just pinch the patient’s nose and breathe into their mouth from your mouth. Make sure the head remains tilted all this while.
6. Each breath is supposed to last for approximately one second. Keep breathing deeply in order to provide the maximum amount of oxygen to the patient’s lungs. Check if the patient has started breathing by the procedure mentioned above.
Performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation or CPR
1. If not, then it is time for Cardiopulmonary resuscitation or CPR. Locate the centre of the chest and place both of your hands (one on the top of the other). Now push with a medium amount of force with your arms straight.
2. You must push down the chest approximately 5 to 6 centimeters. The frequency of CPR should be twice in a second. This must be continued for one minute, which means around 120 compressions.
3. This process will pump in oxygen in the lungs and brain. By this time, a doctor must be called for further action. Till the time you receive professional help, you can continue conducting the revival process.
4. Perform a pattern of 2 mouth-to-mouth resuscitation after 30 CPRS until a doctor arrives at the location.
Once breathing is resuscitated
If you get successful in reviving the breaths of the patient, place their head towards the back (to help air pass the airway) and keep the back straight. Make sure the arms and legs are bent so as to keep them in the recovery position.
It is very important to keep them warm with the help of thick clothing or blanket. Keep conversing with the patient to reassure them of the help arriving. Stay positive and make the patient feel comfortable.
In case of a cardiac arrest
1. There are fewer cases of drowning patients suffering from a heart attack. It complicates the process of rescuing and reviving him or her. One necessarily needs a defibrillator to save the patient’s life.
2. If it is available, you can try using it through these instructions. The place on the body where defibrillator pads will be attached should have dry skin. No need to stress about using a defibrillator in wet conditions, although.
3. The most important issue is to get maximum oxygen into the patient’s body. Be it by rescue breaths, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, or defibrillator.
For drowning toddlers
The most vulnerable beings to drowning are babies. In small pools, due to negligence, they can get drowned easily. Children do not have enough strength to fight back and pull their heads out of the water.
So, in these cases, during mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, avoid giving forceful breaths to the baby’s mouth. You just need to give in gentle air puffs into the nose as well as the mouth for four to five times.
Since prevention is better than cure, always be aware of the baby’s pool. Put around a floatation tube on the baby’s body. This will obviate such dangerous scenes.
Useful information about drowning
1. Drowning in all extents requires immediate and professional help. Even small quantities of water in the lungs can engender fluid collection. To prevent serious situations, it is better to get the patient admitted as soon as possible.
2. Dry drowning is a condition in which the patient chokes on the water while he or she is swimming. If the person is swimming anywhere other than a pool, it can prove to be hazardous. Seek a doctor’s consultation immediately.
3. For beginners and intermediate swimmers, it is advisable to perform in areas under the supervision of a lifeguard. It significantly reduces the chances of drowning to negligible. Also, wear your toddler a life jacket to give additional protection.
4. In case you spot an unconscious man or woman in water with no witnesses, consider him or her to have a neck injury.
Being aware of your surroundings always gives fruitful observations. There are millions of people who lack the skills to swim. It leads to copious amounts of drowning cases each year. The only way to prevent losing precious lives to the mighty waves is to equip yourself with life-saving techniques.
Learning the art of saving a person from drowning is next to godliness. Even if you are unable to save, just never panic. Getting terrified worsens the situation and creates negative vibes. So, always be ready to help and keep a calm posture.
You can rescue a person from drowning by using equipment like ropes, poles, etc. A human chain of swimmers can also be formed to get hold of the patient. It is important to notify the police and doctors within this time interval to seek valuable help. Until you get professional help, you can provide mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to the person.
The head should be sideways to drain water in the airway. After rescue breaths, you can deliver Cardiopulmonary resuscitation or CPR to revive the breath. Depending on the age of the patient, the force of the hands and breath should be varied. Once breathing gets restored, make sure to keep talking to the patient. Provide enough warmth to the body while expert help arrives at the rescue.